immix 479.795.1101

I chipped my tooth. What do you recommend for cosmetic/restoration?

So you had an accident. You tripped on the sidewalk, took a big bite out of that jawbreaker, or attempted to be the hero at that party by opening a bottle with your teeth. Well, now you have a problem. You have this large chip on your front tooth. The first thing you need to do is call your dentist as soon as possible. Depending on the extent of the fracture, they will be able to give you a few options for fixing the tooth.With a small fracture, typically the tooth can be fixed with a composite filling that matches and blends perfectly in with the tooth. These types of fillings will usually need to be replaced periodically throughout its lifetime. The frequency is highly dependent on how hard you are on your teeth and how well you take care of those teeth. The next type is a medium size fracture. These are usually sensitive to cold and sweets until fixed. With these larger fractures, fillings are still used but on some occasions a crown or veneer is needed to protect the tooth from continued chipping. The crown or veneer is fabricated by a lab technician to match the contours and shade of your existing teeth. In the final instance, the fracture impinges on the pulp chamber of the tooth. This is where the nerves and blood vessels run through the tooth. In this case, the tooth will usually need to be root canal treated to prevent infection of the tooth and possible abscess. After the root canal, a crown will need to be made for the tooth to prevent further fracture.

We highly recommend building a good relationship with your family dentist. When those accidents happen, they will be there to clean up the mess. If you would like our office to be that safety net, give us a call and schedule an appointment – 479.795.1101.


Like Us On Facebook
Keep in touch